School Lunch

SFPS announced today its policy for free and reduced-price meals for children unable to pay the full price of meals served under the National School Lunch Program, the School Breakfast Program and the After School Snack Program.  Each school and the Student Nutrition Office have a copy of the policy, which may be reviewed by any interested party.

Beginning July 1, 2022, applications may be completed electronically from any device with internet access.  For more information, visit For questions, please call SFPS’ Student Nutrition office at 505-467-3600. 

Students who attend Acequia Madre Elementary, Amy Biehl Community School, Atalaya Elementary, Carlos Gilbert Elementary, Pinon Elementary, Wood Gormley Elementary, El Dorado Community School, Mandela International Magnet School and Santa Fe High School will need to fill out an application to determine eligibility for free, reduced-price or full-price meals. Please note that this was not required in the 2021-2022 school year due to a federal waiver. Applications are recommended to be completed prior to the first day of school. For students not eligible for benefits, a pre-payment of cash or check can be sent with your child to school to be given to the cafeteria or you can pay online at

The household size and income criteria identified below will be used to determine eligibility.  Children from households with incomes at or below the levels shown are eligible for free or reduced-price meals.

Requirements for school officials to determine eligibility for free and reduced-price benefits are as follows: For households receiving SNAP, Federal Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR) or TANF benefits, applications need only include the enrolled child(ren)'s name, SNAP or FDPIR case number and the signature of an adult household member. For households that do not list a SNAP, FDPIR or TANF case number, the application must include the names of all household members, the amount and source of the income received by each household member and the signature and corresponding Social Security number of an adult household member.  If the household member who signs the application does not have a Social Security number, the household member must indicate on the application that a Social Security number is not available.

Students new to SFPS need to pay for meals until an application has been processed. It is recommended that applications be completed prior to the first day of school. You can send a pre-payment of cash or check with your child to school to be given to the cafeteria or you can pay online at

  • A la carte milk: $.50 (For a second milk or for students that bring their own lunch but would like to drink milk)

  • Breakfast at all schools: $1.20

  • Elementary and K-8 lunch, full price: $2.30

  • Mandela lunch, full price $2.60

  • Santa Fe High School lunch, full price $2.75

Income Chart – Effective July 1, 2022 through June 30, 2023


Household Size



Twice Per Month



















































For each additional family member, add






SFPS will continue the Community Eligibility Provision (CEP) for Free Meal Reimbursement in School Year 2022-2023 through CEP. The Healthy, Hunger Free Kids Act of 2010 includes the implementation of CEP to ensure that every student in low-income neighborhoods and/or districts can participate in the National School Lunch Program and School Breakfast Program. To qualify, a district or school must have 40 percent or more of its students eligible for free meals based on direct certification. This eliminates the procedure of distributing and processing meal applications. Provision II requires applications to be completed in a base year establishing a minimum of 80% free or reduced eligibility.

The following schools will participate in Community Eligibility Provision or Provision II and will offer meals at no charge to all students: Aspen Community School, Capital High School, Cesar Chavez Elementary, Chaparral Elementary, Desert Sage Academy, E.J. Martinez Elementary, Early College Opportunities High School, El Camino Real Academy, Gonzales Community School, Kearny Elementary, Milagro Middle School, Nava Elementary, Nina Otero Community School, NYE Early Childhood Center, Ortiz Middle School, Ramirez Thomas Elementary, Salazar Elementary, Sweeney Elementary and Tesuque Elementary. 

Frequently asked questions:

  1. Do I need to fill out an application for each child?  No. Use one Free and Reduced Price School Meals Application for all students in your household. If using a paper application, we cannot approve an application that is not complete, so be sure to fill out all required information. Return the completed application to your child’s school or to the Student Nutrition Office at 2600 Cerrillos Road, Santa Fe, NM, 87505. Online applications are recommended for faster processing.
  2. Who can receive free meals?  All children in households receiving benefits from (State SNAP)  Food Stamps, TANF or FDPIR. Eligibility for a foster child is based on a separate application and solely on the amount of the child’s “personal use” income.  Also, your child(ren) can receive free meals if your household income is within the free limits on the Federal Income Guidelines.
  3. Can homeless, runaway and migrant children get free meals?  If you have not been informed that they will receive free meals, please call the homeless liaison at 467-2571 to see if your child(ren) qualifies.
  4. Who can receive reduced-price meals? Your children can receive low-cost meals if your household income is within the reduced price limits of the federal income chart shown above.
  5. How will I know if my child(ren) is approved for free or reduced-price meals?  An approval letter will be sent home with your child (ren). Please keep this letter for future program enrollment, i.e. summer programs.  Call the Student Nutrition Office at 467-3600 if you have questions.
  6. I receive WIC benefits. Can my child(ren) receive free meals?  Children in households participating in WIC may be eligible for free or reduced-price meals. Please fill out an application. 
  7. If I don’t qualify now, may I apply later?  Yes. You may apply at any time during the school year if your household size goes up, your income goes down or if you start receiving Food Stamps, FDPIR or other benefits.  If you lose your job, your child(ren) may be able to receive free or reduced-price meals.
  8. May I apply if someone in my household is not a U.S. citizen?  Yes. You or your child(ren) do not have to be a U.S. citizen to qualify for free or reduced-price meals.
  9. Who should I include as members of my household?  You must include all people living in your household, related or not (such as grandparents, other relatives, or friends). You must include yourself and all children who live with you.
  10. What if my income is not always the same?  List the amount that you normally receive. For example, if you normally receive $1,000 each month, but you missed some work last month and only earned $900, put down that you receive $1,000 per month.  If you normally are paid overtime, include it, but if it is only occasionally, do not include it.
  11. Will I have to pay the negative balance if my application is processed as free? Yes. All negative balances must be paid regardless of approval status.

The Richard B. Russell National School Lunch Act requires the information on this application. You do not have to give the information, but if you do not, we cannot approve your child for free or reduced-price meals. You must include the last four digits of the social security number of the adult household member who signs the application. The last four digits of the social security number are not required when you apply on behalf of a foster child or you list a SNAP, TANF or FDPIR case number or other FDPIR identifier for your child or when you indicate that the adult household member signing the application does not have a social security number. We will use your information to determine if your child is eligible for free or reduced-price meals, and for the administration and enforcement of the lunch and breakfast programs. We MAY share your eligibility information with education, health and nutrition programs to help them evaluate, fund or determine benefits for their programs, auditors for program reviews and law enforcement officials to help them look into violations of program rules.

NON-DISCRIMINATION: In accordance with federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex (including gender identity and sexual orientation), disability, age or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity. Program information may be made available in languages other than English. Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication to obtain program information (e.g., Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language) should contact the responsible state or local agency that administers the program or USDA’s TARGET Center at (202) 720-2600 (voice and TTY) or contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. To file a program discrimination complaint, a complainant should complete a Form AD-3027, USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, which can be obtained online at: from any USDA office by calling (866) 632-9992 or by writing a letter addressed to USDA. The letter must contain the complainant’s name, address, telephone number and a written description of the alleged discriminatory action in sufficient detail to inform the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights about the nature and date of an alleged civil rights violation. The completed AD-3027 form or letter must be submitted to USDA by mail to the U.S. Department of Agriculture Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue, SW Washington, D.C. 20250-9410 or fax at (833) 256-1665 or (202) 690-7442 or email at

MEALS FOR DISABLED: Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the agency (state or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.